Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Sexuality in news coverage

After reading the arcticle about Pilati, the designer for YSL, I can only understand one reason why his sexuality is important. Since the article is like a profile story talking about his childhood, career and all sorts of specifics, any reader would wonder about his love life. It is like the reporter includes Pilati's sexual orientation as a way to inform readers. Pilati talks about it like it is a part of his job as well. He mentioned that he would rather a woman on the catwalk than a man.
On the other hand, if the story were mainly about his job there should be no reason to talk about his sex. I think in this time period reporters are trying to make it so that homosexuality can be talked about as a normal way of life. At the same time it doesn't define what makes an individual who they are. Just because I am heterosexual does not mean I have to make it a part of "my story" when talking to someone.

No comments: